Sunday, May 4, 2008

Why Human Bother with EMOTIONS?

The last few weeks have been a roller coaster of emotions for me.

I'm sad, I'm angry, I'm happy, I'm anxious and many more others emotions that lies in me.

At the end of the day, I'm physically and mentally exhausted from the whirling dervish that seems to have taken over my head.

Why do we have emotions? Wouldn't it better to have the heart and soul of a lizard and feel nothing at all?

It's easy to understand why we have good emotions. Happy people live happy lives and make for happy mates. Presumably, all that happiness translates into passing on genes. When you are happy, you will be in seven wonders of heaven and not knowing what lies ahead of you. Some people are those happy-go-lucky types with to them problems and sadness is just not a big deal. They take things easily and live their live happily too.

I can’t actually recall how many times I actually have my happy face on. I also can’t recall when is the time when I really happy and the happy are not acted out. Happiness comes but it doesn’t last. It may appear to you in 1 second or 1 minute but the next second or minute you will again felt that you are in negative emotions back.

Harder to explain are the "bad" emotions such as fear, anxiety, anger and hate. Why would evolution fill our heads with such negativity?

When I can’t recall my happiness but I can call all my “bad” emotions. For the past few weeks, nothing actually gives me the ecstatic joy feelings except when I celebrated my birthday. Apart from that, I don’t reminiscence any of it already. My fear is I was totally trepidation that I couldn’t get a place or better word secures me a place in local university. I was anger on some annoying people who care too much on other people businesses. I was sad due to some problems I am facing but I hope everything will come to an end soon. But in such tragic situation, I never failed to have friends who are with me most of the times and even lend me a helping hand when I need the most. So, I thank them sincerely.

It may be that emotionality comes as an all-inclusive package and so you have to take the good with the bad; with love comes its evil twin hate, with happiness comes the flip side of sadness.
Fact is, without these complex social emotions that involve others; we'd be stuck back in the forest, living alone in the trees.

But the good point is that all emotions are "good," at least in the evolutionary sense. They are there to help us, and they bring hope. Even in the depth of sadness, we always know that the opposite feeling of happiness might bubble up.

And how would we recognize the happy part without experiencing the sad part?



4 comments:

bluestarstsl said...

maybe you are infected by your hormonal change?
hoho...
there are once i was very very down in my life. until i can't find the meaning of life.
but time will overcome it. soon or later you will find that life always have up and down. only then it will balance.
sometimes you see people how happy... they have the sad side too. only that they didn't let you saw that part.
so cheer up friend. you might be down now but later on... your life is high up again.
take care ya...

Pey Yein @ Penny said...

nah..i am ok..dun worry...tough enough to handle...but definately not wat u mean by hormone change..definately not..just got some problem occur la..anyway..i am alright...

bluestarstsl said...

you can find me anytime if you want ok..
don't keep it to yourself.
take care ya

Pey Yein @ Penny said...

find u arh..is more hard to find compare to find prime minister..u come and tell me how many times we actually meet during online???..hahah..